Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Garage love

My computer says it is 1 degree, and the news says it is 3 degrees. Either way, it's freakin' cold outside. However, I need not worry. I am one of the lucky ones with a garage. It's a wonderful thing, and the love I have for this garage is not unlike the love I had for the garbage disposal in my first apartment.

See, before I moved to the suburbian utopia I currently enjoy, I never had a garage before. I've never lived in a real suburb before! I grew up on a small farm. We didn't have a garbage disposal. Or a dishwasher. Or a garage. I think the barn, at one time, sported a garage-like area. However, my dad - and this won't surprise anyone who knows him - promptly converted the garage area into yet another horse stall because as everyone knows, you can never have too many horse stalls. And so I was relegated to parking outside and scraping the effects of Indiana weather off my '84 Horizon from the birth of my driver's license. In college, no garage. After college, no garage, even when I briefly lived in Denver, Colorado and there were frequent hail stoms. Before moving to Indy, I spent about 4 years in the upstairs condo of a downtown building in my hometown. No garage there, either.

But alas, I've moved up in the world, and I now have access to a garage! I no longer get rained on! My car does not get egged! I don't have to scrape ice from my windshield! My car will start this morning without a hitch! It makes me happy! When I have to move from here in June, I will be looking for someplace with a garage and a yard. Milo and I have gotten spoiled in our little utopia. I may only be able to afford a shack, but if it has a garage and a little yard for the monster, we'll be happy as bugs.