Monday, January 10, 2005

I heart torts

It's amazing how happy a good torts fight makes me. Me against the big bad insurance company!! Okay, the firm and the attorney I'm doing grunt clerk work for against the big bad insurance company!! Either way, tort law appears to be my calling. Or I'm just a big dork that thinks pouring over an insurance policy for ambiguous language so that I can write a killer brief telling you why our clients should recover policy limits is a very satisfying way to spend a Monday morning! See, it makes me so happy.

My best girlfriend from law school works for the dark side, otherwise known as insurance defense. I am currently battling with an Indiana Court of Appeals decision from last month that is not so favorable for me. The case was won by one of the partners at the firm where my friend will work after graduation. This case kicks ass, and the insurance company, via their great attorneys, deserved to win, but it is making my task rather difficult this morning. However, I hope a day comes when my friend and I find ourselves representing opposing sides in a case. I have great respect for her and her ability (she's smarter than I am, but I am way sneaky), and a good adversarial dual between the two of us would be better than any girly catfight!