Sunday, January 09, 2005

Spring fever is coming early this year

7 days, 16-some hours, and counting until my last semester of law school begins. Only fellow law students and lawyers can truly appreciate the feelings of thrill and elation at being nearly done with law school hell, juxtaposed with stress and dread over the impending bar review and The Exam that will follow May graduation in very short order.

I am not worrying much about my last semester of classes. At this point in the journey, my GPA will not likely be affected much by either an outstanding or abysmal performance next semester. I have gotten quite good at being just above average, so why rock the boat now? I am, not surprisingly, already suffering from senioritis, lack of motivation, and a touch of apathy toward school as I approach my final 12 credit hours. Throw in some sunny spring weather, and you'll likely find me taking some liberties with the attendance policy and drinking beer on the balcony at the Distillery.

Luckily, I have wisely chosen classes based on:

1) The schedule. I love my clerking job, and if given a choice between attending a boring UCC lecture or making a work deadline early, you aren't going to find me at the school. Maximum working hours are a must, even if I struggle to figure out what the heck the UCC is during bar review.

2) The prof. If he doesn't have an attendance policy, I'm in. If he's an old hippie who makes funny jokes while teaching the First Amendment, I'm in. If he's one of the most well-liked (and best-looking) profs teaching a special course on my very favorite subject of tort law (Environmental and Toxic torts, no less!!), I'm in. We have endured the spectrum of profs over the past 5 semesters. We have tolerated the boring, the demeaning, the angry, the emotional, the scary, the demanding, the "I'm so brilliant I cannot even fathom your average brain," and the outright impossible. At this point, we deserve the good ones.

3) The class. Beer and Nacho Law on Thursday nights with 4 of my friends? I am so there. The aforementioned torts class, which comes complete with an open-book written final nicely attached? I am absolutely going to love that class. No final at all? Oh HELL yeah!

Apathy aside, I think it is pretty decent mix of classes, and overall will likely be a good semester for me. Well, as good as semesters of law school can be, that is.