Friday, January 07, 2005

Thoughts from yesterday...

Sometimes I have serious doubts about my ability to navigate the world all by myself. Sure, I moved to Denver, Colorado all alone after visiting for one week, and I managed not to fall off a mountain, but damn if I didn't get lost more than once trying to get myself to Bloomington yesterday. It's amazing that I am not perpetually wandering around like an idiot since moving to Indy.

What I'm about to say is another indication of what a dork I really am. On my way back from Bloomington (which took over an hour by my directions), I listened to the Senate hearings for Attorney General nominee Alberto Gonzales. I caught the Dems playing kickball with him, and having a damn fine time doing it. They were absolutely brutal! In typical attorney fashion, however, Judge Gonzales did a fabulous job at evading even the most pointed questions. I learned that there are even more ways to answer a clear yes/no question than I ever thought possible. I was disappointed in his evasive responses to death penalty issues, torture issues, and marriage issues, but this guy has got to be better than that creepy Ashcroft. And, as a side note, Judge Gonzales has a very nice speaking voice on the radio. Perhaps if the attorney gig doesn't work out, someone will suggest he narrate some books on tape. I could listen to that lilting southern twang while I'm driving around lost.