Saturday, January 08, 2005

Wine foul!

A couple of nights ago, I spilled a glass of red wine. Unfortunately, this was no small, incidental spill. A near-full glass of pinot noir on the coffee table went flying, splashing a spray of wine across the cream berber carpet. The velocity of this spill was such that spots of red wine dotted up on the mantle of the fireplace. It was a massive spill. I almost threw up, knowing that the chances of me getting this stain out were slim. I immediately tried to recall all of my wine-removal home remedies, but none came to mind, so I got the spot stain remover and went to work. Unfortunately, my can of stain remover was almost empty. [Side story: The reason why I had so little stain remover is because during final exams, I went on multiple cleaning sprees, one of which involved deodorizing the carpet. I grabbed what I thought was the can of deodorizer and began misting the entire carpet. After spraying about half the house, the fumes hit me and I realized I had the wrong can - I was spraying spot remover everywhere instead of smell-good carpet fresh. Yes, I noticed the spray was a bit off, but I thought maybe the nozzle was clogged or something. This little fiasco resulted in my having to open windows and doors in 20-degree weather and freezing my ass off so that I didn't get high as a kite, or even worse, kill the dog with toxic fumes. Thus, a shortage of stain remover when I really need it.]

I did the best with what I had, but yes - the stain remained. I worked on it the next morning, and left a towel over the top, hoping that the stain would not dry and set in any worse until I could attack it with something more professional. I stopped at my local wine/liquor store last night on the way home, hoping that they might have some miracle rememdy. And, alas, they did have something, and it actually seems to have worked. This morning, the stain is mostly gone, and not likely to be picked out as a big red wine foul. The stuff that did the trick is called GONZO Wine Out. It works for carpet, linens, and most surface and fabrics. It's my new favorite product, but I hope I don't have to use it again anytime soon.