Saturday, February 26, 2005

Barrister's Ball v. Cowboys

Kelly and I hit the mall today, and we both found dresses for next weekend's Barrister's Ball (i.e., Law Prom). Kelly's dress - a beautiful lavender sheer asymetrical dress - is absolutely stunning, no question about it. Mine is, at the very least, phenomenally better than the alternative. I no longer have to fear the sequined blueberry! I found a classy black, floor-length gown. The length is key - I can wear comfortable black shoes or no shoes at all on the dancefloor, and no one will likely know the difference. On the other hand, the dress also shows 1) my arms, which I think are rather unattractive, and 2) my Chi tattoo between my shoulder blades, which is either good or bad depending on one's opinion of tattoos. I got it when I was about 24 or so, and it is symbolic of "balance" which I am always in desperate need of. I like it just fine, but I am always a bit leary of backless dresses. Ah well, the dress is black, the tattoo is black - I suppose it matches anyway! As for the arms, a couple glasses of wine and I'll probably forget how much better they would look if I'd consider hitting the gym instead of the mall.

Last year's ball was a good time, although I decided the day of the event that I wanted to go. I had no date. I had no new dress. But I had a LOT of fun. Last year's shindig fell smack in the middle of my separating from my now-ex-husband. I was a bit of a basket case at the time, but my friends were really great about laying on the pressure to go anyway. They dealt with a potential trainwreck such as myself in the most appropriate of ways - we drank, we laughed, we ate, we drank, we gossiped about what other people were wearing, we drank, we danced, we drank, we laughed. I spent too much time outside by the downtown canal smoking cigarettes with a fellow law clerk (I will NOT be smoking this year!!). I almost fell into the canal after taking on a dare to dip in my toes, and I lost my lipstick. At the end of the night back in the hotel lobby, I found myself in farm-girl heaven amongst a bunch of hot cowboys - bullriding cowboys from the PBR (Professional Bull Riders), who were in town for the weekend. My mom is a HUGE fan (which is a great story for another time), so I wandered around in my formal dress looking completely out of place and got her an autograph or two, and then I called it a night. It was an interesting end to an impromptu evening, to say the least.

If only those beautiful cowboys could show up at the ball next weekend....