Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Million Dollar Baby

Well, I look like I got the crap beat out of me, but I am on the road to recovery. This particular surgery consisted of a reconstructive gum graph to repair gum tissue damaged as a result of two surgeries I had last summer. Basically, I had a section of gum tissue grafted from the roof of my mouth to my upper gum line above my front teeth. Last summer, I had a portion of my upper jaw replaced with a titanium implant, but it pretty much mangled my gumline. The implant was placed as a result of weakened bone structure and a bone infection, which was a long-term result of getting hit in the face with a creekbed rock while crawdaddin' (see previous post) when I was a kid, which shattered my upper jaw and knocked out a couple of teeth. More information than you probably wanted or needed, I'm sure. At any rate, this surgery is (hopefully) the last one, and I'm almost to the end of a really long road of surgeries since the accident, which makes me very, very happy!

I've been watching Court TV like a fiend the past two days when I'm not sleeping, and I got to see the closing arguments in the Chris Pittman trial - the kid that killed his grandparents and was using the Zoloft defense (which I personally thought was a load of crap). The prosecutor gave an impressive closing argument, and the jury returned guilty verdicts. Today, I've been following testimony in another trial of a teen accused of killing both of her parents, supposedly because her parents disapproved of her boyfriend. The prosecution's case appears to be strong so far. Both cases make me sad - how is it that teenagers can find something within themselves to rationalize and justify the murder of their parents or grandparents? On the other hand, it also makes me sad that young teens are being tried as adults for their crimes. In the Pittman case, he was 12 when he committed the murders. Twelve years old! In the other case, the girl was sixteen at the time of the crime. There is so much to be said on this topic - it is definitely another soapbox of mine - but I don't feel coherent enough at the moment to articulate my opinions very well, and I don't have any solutions to offer. Juvenile crime is simply tragic any way you look at it. Anyway, Court TV sure beats out other daytime TV, such as yesterday's Maury Povich - "My Brother's My Baby's Daddy." Societal issues boggle my mind if I let myself think to much about them, so I just took another Vicodin and went back to sleep.

I'm hoping to be back to class tomorrow, although I still look pretty rotten. I'm trying to get past the vanity issue so I don't get any more behind in my classes. I keep reminding myself that law students are not so concerned with what you look like, but rather with what you say. They probably won't even notice my freakish face.