Wednesday, February 02, 2005

State of the Union, silently


Posted by Hello
I am desperately trying to get an obscene amount of reading done tonight (who says you can blow off the last semester?!), so I'm not listening to the State of the Union address. I can imagine well enough what the speech will primarily consist of, and I will catch the highlights and get a bigger kick out of the talking heads battling it out tomorrow.

At any rate, the speech is on my television, only muted. I couldn't help but make a couple of visual observations as I sit here with my socks hanging off the ends of my feet. President Bush is looking rather relaxed and less intense than usual. Could it be a new self-tanner? Could it be another extended vacation? Could it be Botox? Could it be that finally someone has written a speech with no words over 3 syllables?

And that VP of ours, Dick Cheney - he's sporting the "I am trying really hard to look like I am actively listening and not bored out of my head" look tonight. I have perfected my own version of this look, and I recognized it immediately.

That's all I've got.