Sunday, February 20, 2005

WWGD

I had lunch today with my grandparents and parents. My grandparents are wonderful, sweet people who have been married for 60 years. I adore them.

Over lunch, my mother asked us what one question we would ask God if given the opportunity. She has been assigned this task in her group bible study at church, and she's having some trouble coming up with just one question. So, in all her motherly wisdom, she posed the question to us, which may or may not have been a good idea. My dad didn't say much - he was in the middle of his entree and besides that, he is a very private man and not quick to openly share such deep thoughts. My grandfather, a very Godly man, had several poignant and religious-based questions he would ask. At the age of 80, he is still so brilliant. I had already shared my ideas with my mom when we discussed this the night before, but I threw out a couple of "serious" answers, i.e. not the wacky questions I'd really like some answers to. There are many things I would like to ask God, but given the opportunity to only ask one question, I'd probably try to choose something of some importance.

Then, my quiet and demure grandmother piped up. "If I could ask God one question, I would ask him why he created sex."

WHAT?! I almost choked on my food! Is it not obvious why God created sex?! Grandma did have an interesting take on her question, though. She said that she would want to know why God created something that would bring about so much sin. Well, good point. However, she seems to be looking at it from a "glass half empty" perspective. Apparently, my grandmother has decided that sex is just more trouble than its worth.

A sure sign of a generation gap if I've ever heard one.