Thursday, March 03, 2005

Dictator

I have been told by my boss (one of my many boss-partners) that I must start using dictation. Apparently I am wasting "valuable time and money" by insisting that I type all of my own work. So, from now on I have been instructed to dictate certain work. Like the hundreds of pages that must be summarized by Monday, thank you very much.

Ugh. This task is presenting a bit of a problem for me. I like to type my own work very much. And if I have to use a tape recorder to do deposition summaries, will I be able to do it without verbally inserting the occasional random thought that will most certainly pop into my head as I'm reading the deposition? Will I be able to use the tape recorder without constantly rewinding, listening, laughing at myself, and re-recording? Without saying "um" and "strike that" a thousand times? Will I be able to do it in a monotone voice void of funny inflection and imitations of opposing counsel? Yeah, not likely.

This is sure to be a good exercise in professionalism for me.