Friday, March 11, 2005

End of the week review

So much has been going on this week - some things of importance, most things not so much. I've been hanging on the fringes waiting for a moment to get it all out. So here goes:

* Indiana executed Donald Ray Wallace this week for murdering a family of four in 1980. Rather than get on my own soap box about this, I am referring you to a passionate post over at Deb's page eloquently describing her anti-death penalty sentiments. My opposition to the death penalty does not mirror Deb's, but I greatly admire her convictions and her willingness to act upon those convictions. At the end of the day, we both oppose the same thing.

* Also this week, my parents and sister became the proud parents of a new baby colt. I, myself, can't take any ownership for the new baby since I stopped mucking out horse stalls when I was 15, but baby horses are a huge deal to the rest of my family. I'll post a picture after the weekend since there is little else more adorable than a newborn horse. And there's no name yet. For some reason, naming horses is way more complicated than naming human babies. That really doesn't make sense, now does it?

* People all around me are sick. I keep a container of Lysol wipes at my desk at work, and I have set up a no-sick-zone perimeter around my desk. Yet, I woke up this morning with achy muscles, a headache, and a scratchy throat. I think maybe it is psychosomatic. Seriously. I've had that discussion on this blog before - I am not sick, but I might think that I am going to be because everyone else is. Anyhow, no time to be sick right now, so thank you to the infectious folks in my life who have stayed away from me this week. I don't want to hear about how you coughed up a lung anymore, though.

* Update on learning dictation: I can absolutely see the value in learning how to do this, but I really would like to pick and choose when I use it. I certainly can dictate a deposition summary in half the time it would take me to type it out. On the other hand, it would likely take me hours to try to dictate a memo or letter off the top of my head. All in all though, I am glad I'm being forced to do it. However, it is not a good idea to do lots of dictation the day after a huge bash (law prom) where you drank too much and smoked to much and sang "Paradise City" at the top of your lungs.

* Speaking of smoking, I am happy to say I'm back on the wagon. Hooray for me! This morning I had to walk through the gauntlet of smokers outside my office building, and it reinforced my disgust of the almighty cigarette.

* And speaking of the law prom, it took five intelligent women to piece together a relatively cohesive series of events from the evening. In the morning, we realized we had lost a few things, including two cameras, a couple of earrings (including an antique one that belonged to a prostitute once), an opportunity to eat cheeseburgers at 4am, a few memories, and maybe a little dignity. However, we gained a stray pair of shoes, which you can view here. They ended up in our hotel room, yet not a single one of us wears size 7 1/2. It's really unfortunate since they are sexy peep-toes. Anyhow, they are free to a good home.

* Final exams, graduation, and bar review are quickly approaching. Oh, and my bar application is due in by April 1. I will likely be blogging and/or bitching frequently about these topics, so this is your fair warning. For now, I'll say this: it's freakin' expensive as hell.