Monday, March 28, 2005

Just another manic Monday...

It's Monday, which only means back to work and back to school after a weekend off. I did absolutely no studying this weekend, nor did I do anything related to work. Slacking off on both will likely come back to haunt me this week. Unfortunately, there will be very few, if any, of those lazy weekends in the upcoming months with finals approaching and then bar review. For those of us sitting for the bar exam in July, our next stress-free weekend is looking like July 30th. Ugh.

Anyhow, it was a relaxing weekend with my family, and we had a really nice Easter yesterday at my grandparents. I did get my bar application finished, printed off and ready to mail today or tomorrow, and I am glad that nightmare is nearly behind me. Other than that, I did a whole lot of nothing productive until I got back to Indy. Fabulous!

After I got home yesterday late afternoon and finished the obligatory tooling around the house (laundry, watering plants, picking up dog toys all over the house, getting trash out, etc.), I settled in for my new favorite show, The Contender. I was going to post about this after I watched my first episode last week, but I decided to sit in on another round to confirm whether or not I was going to be hooked on it. And I almost hate to admit it, but I really love this show and have definitely been sucked in. Last night, they did a one-hour re-cap of the previous three fights before airing a new episode, which was useful to me since I missed the first three episodes.

I am pretty shocked that I like this show. I hate boxing or fighting of any kind. I really don't understand the intricacies of the sport - like who gets points for doing what? For landing punches? For looking stronger? For being quicker? Outside of getting a knock-out, I'm a bit lost on how they decide who wins unless one person is just obviously better than the other at beating the crap out of his opponent. So I am going into the show with a relatively high degree of ignorance here. There is information here about how the matches are scored, but I haven't taken the time to get caught up to speed.

Anyhow, the boxing fights are not the best part of The Contender. The guys that have been cast to compete here - half from the East, half from the West - are an amazing group of real young men, most from a lower socio-economic, inner-city backgrounds who have spent the better part of their lives in a gym, hoping to get a break for a better life through boxing. They have fascinating families, and each one of the contenders is motivated not by greed, but by an opportunity to make a better life, to win, to escape the hardness of their lives, to finally have a shot at success. These guys seem to have such heart and passion for their families, their neighborhoods, their sport. And I find it compelling to watch them compete for that ultimate opportunity.

Also noteworthy ~ Sylvester Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard, who are there to mentor and encourage the guys, are excellent additions. I thought for sure that Sly would be irritating, but he isn't so in the least.

I know the last thing I need right now is to be hooked on a 2nd TV show (next to Survivor), but what can I say? It's Sunday night, and I only have 5 channels.

Anyhow, I'm off to work now for the rest of the day. I hope the pile of assignments I have backed up hasn't spilled off my desk and onto the floor. Wish me luck.