Sunday, March 13, 2005

Some people suck, and so do some dog groomers

I went to Petco yesterday afternoon to pick up some pet things - dog food, a new toy, some greenies for Milo's teeth, etc. I also got him some new food and water bowls. His old ones were some kind of hard plastic, but I noticed that as of late some kind of crud seemed to continually accumulate on the sides of the bowl even though I cleaned it every few days. So, I went with matching ceramic bowls with "good dog" printed on the sides. Very cute.

Anyhow, the point of this story is that as I was waiting to check out, I decided to ask the clerk - who was about my age and not some naive teenager who hates the world - what he thought of the dog groomers at this particular store. I've been thinking about finding a new once since Milo came home last month with some kind of really bad schnauzer haircut. He's a yorkie, mind you. He looked ridiculous, and I think he knew he looked ridiculous.

Here's how the conversation went:

"What do you think of your dog groomers here?"
"What do I think of them as people or as dog groomers?"
Um, okay. "As people, first."
"They suck."
Oh, really? "Why is that, do you think?"
"I don't know. They just suck as people."
"Well, what do you think of them as dog groomers?"
"If they treat the dogs like they treat their co-workers, then they suck as dog groomers, too."

Well, that answered my question. You gotta love brutal honesty in the check-out clerks.