Thursday, April 14, 2005

Facts and Fiction

Since I just finished reading my Toxic Torts assignment for tomorrow, which incidentally means I can watch Survivor tonight guilt-free, I can now answer the E. Spat to Kelly P. to me blog chain letter sent to me this morning.

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be saved?
I haven't read this book, so I am a bit clueless on this question. Unlike E. Spat, I am not taking the time to Google it or figure it out. If I had to save a book from anything, it would be To Kill a Mockingbird, which is without a doubt my most favorite book.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Of course. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that nearly all of my crushes are on fictional characters since I tend to turn most of the real men I know into fictional characters in my head. I prefer to admire some people from afar and not really know how jacked up someone really is, even if that includes making up attributes that they may or may not really have. And yes, I am well aware that I have issues. That said, I can fall in love with a very wide myriad of fictional characters, none of which will ever break my heart. A few of my favorites include Atticus Finch, Superman, Jack McCoy from Law & Order, any character Andrew McCarthy has ever played, John Cusack's character Lane Myer from Better Off Dead, and Tom Sawyer or Jem Finch all grown up.

3. The last book you purchased?
It is downright shameful to admit that I have spent nearly three thousand dollars on law books in the past 3 years but have trouble remembering the last book I purchased that was not associated with a class. I bought The Bitch in the House at an airport last time I travelled (which was about 18 months ago, unfortunately). This book was a collection of essays from women ranging in age from early 20's to mid 70's about balancing career/family/life issues. Most of them I enjoyed; some were downright feminist hate crap. I skipped those. I bought a cookbook - does that count? And one about mixed drinks, too. Those were on sale and mostly for decoration in my kitchen, though. This is so pathetic, really.

When I was a kid, my most favorite reward and gift was when my mom would take me to the bookstore. Sometimes she would take me when I was feeling bad or got my feelings hurt at school or when I got in trouble with my Dad (which was often). There was no better feeling than buying new books and going home and submersing myself in a storyline filled with vivid characters and plots that stole me away from my own world. I read Sweet Valley High and Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary. And then Stephen King and Mary Higgens Clark and John Grisham. I have always been an avid reader. Being a law student steals a lot from your life, and I'll be glad to re-claim that small part of getting lost in a good book.

4. What are you currently reading?
A Purpose-Driven Life. I borrowed the book from my mom, and I am committed to making it a priority in my life right now. And I read newspapers, but I don't consider that particularly substantive.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island?
1) The Bible. If I could only have one single book, it would be the Bible.
2) To Kill a Mockingbird. I have read this book a zillion times. It never gets old.
3) Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
4) At Kelly P.'s brilliant suggestion, An Idiot's Guide to Being Stranded on a Desert Island.
5) Different Seasons - a collection of short stories by Stephen King, which includes Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body, which was made into the movie, "Stand By Me." I love all of the stories in this collection because they center around pure humanity rather than horror.
6) Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Again, I love the story and it never gets old.

I'm sure there are more profound, meaning-of-life books I could choose. Not only can I not think of any right now, I probably wouldn't want to read them once I was stranded. I would, however, also request a subscription to "O" magazine.