Monday, April 04, 2005

Feelin' groovy (and earthy)

I just pulled weeds. Well, I am relatively sure what I pulled were weeds. They looked weed-like and were dead, and once I pulled them, the flower bed along the walk looked much better with the new flowers not pushing their way through the old stuff. There is a garden out front, and one in the back, and it's a damn shame I know next to nothing about gardening, or even basic garden maintenance. At the very least, I will try to first do no harm to the gardens, but I really can't make any promises.

This place is such a haven. I will be sad to give it up in June when I have to move. I love being here - so much that I think it takes the sting out of being alone, on the occasions that I get to feeling a bit lonely. I've looked around this neighborhood to see what is on the market, but it isn't practical for me to think of buying right now. I better wait to see if I pass the bar exam and get settled into a job before making that kind of commitment. But if I were going to buy a house, this neighborhood would be at the top of my list. Maybe this time next spring...

Anyhow, sticking my hands in the dirt was a good excuse to spend some time outside after being cooped up in a law office all day. I love spring.

The most terrifying thing happened as soon as I stepped in the door tonight. I had my hands completely full coming in from the garage - bookbag, purse, large load of dry cleaning hung over one arm, expanding file folder in the other, and my empty coffee mug. Milo always greets me at the door, and I could hear him on the other side of the door, barking up a storm. As I came inside, he ran between my feet, tripping me and all my crap and sending him tumbling down the basement stairs, which sit right next to the garage entry. My beloved little dog tumbled all the way down the stairs, and slid right into the wall at the bottom. As you can imagine, I almost passed out right there. But he bounced right up, ran up the stairs into my arms, and seems to be just fine. I made sure he wasn't limping or anything, and then I took him for a walk to see if he was favoring his legs, but he appears to be perfectly okay. It was enough, however, to give me a freakin' heart attack. That dog is this girl's best friend, and I really don't want to think about anything happening to him.

So, speaking of the little monster, while we were walking we passed a young couple with another yorkie. Theirs, however, was about 4 lbs and had a bow in her hair. I wouldn't do that to Milo, who, at 9 lbs, thinks he's a big bad-ass dog. It was cute watching them sniff and then play around in the grass while we talked dogs and weather. It was way more cute than when I passed the jogger with the doberman. I waved as I crossed the street to the other sidewalk before Milo decided he wanted to play with the doberman, too.

So yeah. What's happened in the past hour and a half has been much more interesting than the rest of my entire day.