Saturday, April 23, 2005

Found

Deb lent me a book called Found last week after I told her about my fascination with the PostSecret website. The book is a collection of notes, letters, photographs, and other stuff that the author has found on the ground, in the trash, on cars, etc. As the author traveled around the country, he handed out fliers inviting people to send in stuff that they had found as well, and he received an overwhelming response and then compiled what he'd received into the book.

This book is something else - other people's thoughts and messages, scrawled on grocery lists, junior high notes, letters to unborn children and lovers and dying parents. While you can't get the full effect without seeing the handwritten notes themselves, here are a couple of simple ones that I found amusing:

Mario,
I fucking hate you. You said you had to work then whys your car HERE at HER place?? You're a fucking LIAR. I hate you. I fucking hate you.
Amber
PS - Page me later
The author found this note after leaving a friend's apartment in Chicago. The note, obviously intended for the guy named Mario, was on the windshield of the author's car. The "page me later" part is such a riot.

I wish I won't flunk sixth grade.
This note was found attached to a balloon in someone's backyard in Houston, Texas.

Amos,
Last night was terrible! I'm so mad at you. I thought we agreed about that thing you do... you know? It's not kinky - it's GROSS!! You need to get over this phase of yours. If you don't, well then you can just sleep alone! Sorry that I couldn't say this to your face, but I can't bare to look at you right now. I have to go, I have calculus next period. Don't call me, I don't want to talk to you or see you later. You better get over this, it's really damaging our sex life.
Mary
This note was found in Hoffman Estates, Illinois scrawled on a piece of notebook paper, obviously before a high school calculus class. I would love to know what exactly Amos was trying to get away with!

Goals:
1. Go to church. Find God, then find myself through him. Get baptised.
2. Party a lot. Meet new people. Start drinking once a week. Be social. My mom met my dad at a party... don't forget that.
3. Start exercising with my mom this week (March 10th - March 14th)
4. Spend a lot of time alone. Find myself. Figure out a way to be happy alone. I need to know that I can be content by myself. I know I am beautiful. I know that I have a wonderful personality. I know that I'm smart. I know that I'm worthy of being loved.
5. Find a new job. Tomorrow, I will call back all my places that I applied to. I will turn applications into new places.
6. Go to the Zoo Bar alone; get soaked into the music. Go to a lot of small concerts alone.
7. Take one class at SCC on March 31st. Debt Free Living $45 Sec:SA Monday, March 31, 2003, 7-10PM Rm A-1, Inst: Meyer
8 Go home and visit w/ family more often. At least 3x/week
This note is appropriately titled "Find God, Start Drinking." It was found in the bushes outside an apartment complex in Lincoln, Nebraska.