Friday, April 15, 2005

Free Your Mind *

I had lunch plans today with three prosecutors and a police officer from the county up north where I worked last summer. While I miss seeing these guys, I was not too disappointed when they called to reschedule for next week due to one of the attorneys freaking out about getting assigned to do bench trials in a new court this afternoon. Besides catching up, the other purpose of our lunch was for me to tell them that I have accepted a job offer from the firm where I am currently clerking, which means I will not be returning to the prosecutor's office after graduation. I am not looking forward to dropping this bit of news on them. They are a persuasive group and simply will not let me off the hook with a "Hey, that's great! We understand why you can't possibly pay back your monumental loan debt as a single girl on a prosecutor's salary!" No, these guys will guilt me the entire time about selling out to firm work and how miserable I will be, which is not true except in their prosecutorial minds.

Anyhow, I'll tell them next week. Not that they need to be told again - I have told them before that I will not be coming back after graduation, but until recently I didn't have a concrete offer to back up my decision, so there was still some possibility that I might go back. There's a part of me that would absolutely love be a prosecutor, especially with these particular guys in that particular county. And they know that, which I suppose is what makes it hard to let go.

So instead, Kelly and I walked to Acapulco Joe's. We sat outside and shared three pounds of cheese and a margarita. On the way back to the law school, we got complimented by some guy walking by who said, "Good God almighty!!" as he passed.

And we jaywalked, too! Woohoo!

* This title has nothing to do with this post, other than Kelly mentioned that she had been listening to En Vogue and now I can't get the song out of my head.