Saturday, April 02, 2005

Horsin' around

So once again, my follow through on today's goal of getting a solid start on my case outline didn't work out for me so well. Good thing there's always tomorrow, right?

My sister, Jen, called around noon, and I ended up meeting her and her boyfriend, Spencer, down at the Hoosier Horse Fair and Expo at the Indiana State fairgrounds. I had an absolute blast looking at exhibits, lovin' on the horses, watching demonstrations, and doing a bit of shopping. Jen and Spencer are horse people through and through, and they know the business end of things. They are also so much fun to hang around a barn with. We looked at horse trailers and trucks and tack and talked to other horse people about horse things. Well, I stood around talking to the horses while Jen and Spence talked to horse people about horse things. I can find my way around a barn just fine, but when it comes to the serious side of the business, I am comparatively clueless.

The highlights of my afternoon included buying a new pair of boots, which I have been wanting. They are very cool cowboy boots. Spencer pointed out that they are not exactly "in" - I wanted the classic cowboy boots, not the newer rounded toe chunkier boots. I don't care if they are in or not. I think they are fun. I also entered a raffle to win a pretty yearling Haflinger pony, not that I have a clue what I would do with her if I actually won her. I'll cross that bridge if I get lucky enough to come to it. I kept Jen and Spence laughing all afternoon by being my typical silly self and saying "that's hot" about a million times, mostly about the cowboys. And I bought Jen an early birthday gift - a show halter for the new baby horse. She's named him Harley, by the way, and I really should post some pics of him. He is beautiful. And I had a lemon shake-up because you can't go to the fairgrounds without having one.

All in all, a very fun Indiana afternoon. I love the smell of the barns, the feel of a horse's breath on your cheek, getting dirty and not caring one bit, hanging out with my sister, who is so very different than I am. I think it did me a world of good to get out of my typical element, if just for the afternoon.