Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Boxing, briefs and other random stuff...

So my life has been completely overwhelmed this week with work projects and trying to keep up with some insane self-imposed bar review schedule. It's insane, really. And quite frankly, I am so stressed out, I can hardly stand being with myself this week. When I get really stressed, one of two things happens to me: I get hives and/or I vomit. Yesterday I suffered from both, if that tells you anything.

Studying for the bar thus far has been relegated to a lesser priority by a pressing project assigned at work. I don't talk about my job much here, for obvious reasons, but I'll say this - I could use "An Idiot's Guide to Securities Fraud" right now. For the love of God - I DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SECURITIES FRAUD! And this is not exactly a great week for me to learn, but trying to tell a partner that comes out sounding like an excuse as to why I am not SuperClerk (which, of course, I am), so I smile and nod and even say thanks. I also picked up a new case yesterday having to do with a client who contracted histoplasmosis from pigeon poop outside his place of employment. Hooray for torts! That's my kind of case.

If I'm to be completely honest here, I'd have to admit that the securities issue has been more interesting than I thought it would be. Who knew?

Anyhow, enough of that. If I can't stand myself this week, I don't know what makes me think you want to hear me bitch and moan about it, too. I get tired of my own thoughts these days. My stress is no different than anyone else's. Geesh.

A couple of random thoughts for your entertainment:
* A red-headed woman sat in front of me today in bar review class. I don't know her, and I don't like her. She brought a book and crossword puzzles and proceeded to occupy herself with both during the lecture. WTF?! Based on the conversation with her neighbors (yes, of course I eavesdropped), she has a great job lined up with a large firm that surely paid for her bar review. I wondered what they would think if they knew how blatantly she was blowing off this class. Or maybe she isn't concerned about passing the bar. Maybe she's freaky brilliant. I don't know. She just had that very confident (um, holier than thou) air about her, and I didn't care for it. I hope she sits behind me tomorrow.

* On my way home tonight, I stopped at Walgreen's to pick up a few things. I was (as usual) pondering whether to buy yet another lipgloss, when I noticed a man (tan, 40-ish, clean-cut, average-looking) pass behind me, stop and look back at me, and continue down the aisle. I passed on the lipgloss and headed toward the greeting cards. Next thing I know, there he was. I moved on to the tissues, and here he comes walking up my aisle, this time on his cell phone in what seemed to be a heated business conversation. He stopped not far from me by the toilet paper and proceeded with his very important conversation. I moved on to the diet coke aisle, and passed him again headed in that direction. I couldn't decide if he was following me and trying to impress me with his too-loud-cell phone conversation, or if he just needed the same things I did. Not that I was thinking about the drugstore hook-up. Okay, yeah I was. Anyway, here's the disappointing kicker - he had on dress slacks and tassled loafers with no socks. I had to rule him out immediately and head for the check-out. Damn. Sandals sans socks, okay. Tassled loafers, no way.

* Back to bar review: Yesterday's lecturer kept trying to illustrate how to approach evidence questions as "peeling the onion." I really didn't like the analogy, bless his heart. He's trying to be creative and helpful, unlike today's lecturer. Anyhow, I told Kelly that I had to come up with another analogy, and I threw out pulling away wedges of an orange. Kelly pointed out that it was like apples, or onions, and oranges - it doesn't work because pulling wedges doesn't correlate to peeling layers. So, she suggested "sucking away the layered colors of a jawbreaker." She is brilliant. As she also pointed out, sucking a jawbreaker is better than peeling a stinky onion.

* Last night was The Contender season finale. I realize that I have had absolutely no support here for my love of The Contender other than one anonymous comment, which I did appreciate. But I really loved this show, and last night's final championship match was at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, and it was awesome! I got to see that hottie Alfonso fight again, this time for the bronze match against Jesse Brinkley. Really, if any of the last four contenders had won, I would have been happy for them. It was a tough loss for Peter Manfredo, Jr., who is an amazing fighter, but a great win for Sergio, the Latin Snake. I got the feeling that Peter wanted to win for the title, and Sergio wanted to win for the money. With the different motivations, it was a great fight. The bonus of this season - I learned something about boxing and realized that it actually can be an interesting and complex sport. Again, who knew?

That's all I got.