Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Little Garcias and a new word for freaky

I've been working steady since my last post four hours ago, and I have made substantial progress. Luckily, there have been no distractions other than the nearby elementary school's "walk-a-thon" that brought about 20 classes of kids walking through the neighborhood at different times carrying banners that said "Mrs. Smith's 3rd grade class raised $52.00 for our Walk-a-Thon" or whatever their cause was. All the kids were wearing little tie-dyed shirts I assume they made in art class. They looked like a bunch of tiny rowdy Deadheads.

And yeah, it was adorable the first 5 classes that walked by. After that, I had to shut the front door and re-focus.

Anyhow, my new favorite word/concept of the day is prurient. One of the legal guidelines to regulating obscenity is whether the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest.

In other words, if Average Joe thinks its dirty and filthy and kinky as hell and the work lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value, the court will likely call it obscene. Prurient interest. Great word, great concept. I'll be sure to whip that one out in a brief or court one of these days.