Monday, June 06, 2005

Monday, monday...

I am home studying this morning. I have assumed yesterday's position on my bed. The news is on in the background. It's sunny and hot - so humid here that you can smell the dirt, although the night was filled with violent storms, crashing thunder, and drenching rain. I woke up shortly after 3am and took Milo out, just after the storms passed. The air still had that funny storm electricity, and the deck was covered with debris. A few flashes of lightening still lit up the sky, but the rain had passed. I never did get back to sleep.

I am working through practice questions from two primary MBE study books. In one - Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - the questions are tricky, but very do-able. I have consistently scored well on these practice questions. Also, I have found that the questions that have been passed out with a few bar review lectures are also, for the most part, do-able. They are not easy, but every single one doesn't blindside you with a trick answer. However, the dreaded red book - Multistate Workbook Volume I from PMBR - is killing me. Damnit. The questions are hard, demoralizing. I'm not scoring very well on these particular questions, but my guess is that they are probably more reflective of what I will face on the actual MBE. As irritating as PMBR was, I have found that it was very much more helpful than the MBE portion of my local bar review. I'm disappointed in that fact, but very glad I paid the extra bucks for PMBR. So, today I am tackling the red book.

Ann Curry is currently interviewing Angelina Jolie on the Today Show. I admire Angelina Jolie very much, both for her humanitarian work and strong personality. In response to whether tabloid rumors hurt her, Ms. Jolie replied, "No, it takes a lot to hurt me." Having gotten my feelings hurt a couple of times in the past week over rather trivial matters, that comment struck me. I really need to toughen up and adopt that mantra. On another note, watching Angelina talk is absolutely mesmerizing. That mouth is something else. I'm just sayin'.

Tonight I'm off to a baseball game with a couple of girlfriends and a fun local judge. A few months ago, we bid on and won the "dogs and suds" date with the judge at the law school's Women's Caucus auction. Good news for the judge - today is Monday dollar night, meaning all peanuts, popcorn, cracker jack and hot dogs are a dollar. Not good news for the judge - beer is not on sale. I love baseball games at Victory Field. Peanuts and cold beer should be a perfect ending to a long Monday with the red book.