Sunday, June 05, 2005

One of these things is not like the other one...

I have been neglecting the blogging - writing, reading and commenting. I wish I could say that I'd get back on track here, but I can't make any promises. I did, however, get my internet connected in my bedroom at the parents' yesterday so I can finally use my laptop again, and that should keep me more on top of things in the blogosphere.

I am currently sitting in the middle of my bed with bar review materials strewn about and Milo curled up at my pink slippered feet taking a snooze. I've been working through outlines and questions this morning, but I put aside the books when "The Pelican Brief" came on the TV a few minutes ago. I was hoping the movie might inspire me to study law so I might be able to eventually practice law, but so far, no such luck. It's a great movie, though, and I always thought it was one of Grisham's best novels.

Last night I attended a firm party at one of the partner's homes. The home was a magnificent place on a gorgeous lake. The house was absolutely beautiful. It was a perfect warm evening for a party, with elegant catering, fine wine flowing like water, citronella-scented air, and spins around the lake on the pontoon boat. I didn't feel much like going yesterday, and I came up with a wide array of creative excuses to get myself out of it. For the most part, I love to socialize, and I like this partner very much, but I honestly just wasn't in the mood to make nice with a bunch of other people's spouses last night. But I made myself go and actually had a good time overall, with only a couple moments of exception. One of the partners informed me (in front of several others) that he took and passed the bar exam with less than two weeks of prep. Apparently the firm he was clerking for at that time didn't allow for the luxury of time off to study. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and understanding. And exactly how am I supposed to respond to that? Another partner asked how my final grades were coming out, and then outright asked about my graduating GPA. For the love of God, people.

Most attorneys I know love to tell war stories, mostly figurative stories of walking 2 miles to school uphill barefoot in the snow - how everything in "their day" was more difficult, but they made it through with flying colors. I hope someone slaps me silly if I ever start doing that ego bullshit. Anyhow, I bit my tongue last night for the most part, although I did point out to the two-week bar prep guy that I am the kind of person that prefers to be overly prepared rather than fly by my seat. He got my point and moved on to torment someone else.

Most facades are thin enough that I can see right through them, but I have to wonder if my own is thick enough. Ah, well. It was a lovely evening for a party, and the petit fours kicked ass.