Thursday, June 23, 2005

Things that make you go hmmm....

I'm glad they found that little boy in the woods of Utah. I can't imagine what his parents must have been going through for four days. However, am I the only one wondering why the hell that kid hid from the people searching for him? This whole bit about how he was taught "not to talk to strangers" just doesn't fly with me. The kid is eleven years old, not five. One would think that his sense of thirst and the knowledge that he was obviously lost would over-ride some parental prohibition against talking to strangers. Then again, what do I know. I have no kids. And when I do have kids, they will be unlucky enough to have some kind of GPS tracker sewn into their clothing because I will be that kind of over-protective mother. If my dog-parenting skills are any indication of what my human-parenting skills will be, my kids will likely be loud and raucus and slightly spoiled, but smart and sweet and always on a leash. They will adore me because I am fun, but God help the rest of my family and random people in public if I don't find a husband/father who is a firm disciplinarian.

In other national news, the folks in Aruba arrested yet another suspect. This time, it is the Judge/father of the Van Der Sloot (I love that last name) boy. Apparently in Aruba, you get to arrest suspects first and then find the evidence to detain them. This guy is the seventh person arrested in the case, and yet there seems to be very little evidence (based on media reports, which I always consider untrustworthy). I am thinking that either Aruba has a very tight cap on evidentiary leaks to the media or their probable cause standards are pretty low, and my vote goes to low probable cause standards.

And finally, the Southern Baptists passed a resolution at their annual convention lifting their boycott of everything Disney. The baptists instituted the boycott of the Walt Disney Company in 1997, accusing the company of "violating moral righteousness and traditional family values" because the company decided to extend benefits to companions of gay and lesbian couples. Please. Believe what you want, worship how you want, but when you start depriving thousands of baptist kids from Micky Mouse because of your blatant intolerance and hate, you totally suck.

And in today's "Bar Review Revue," tax sucks about as bad as the southern baptist ban on Disney, especially estate and gift tax. Too much tax knowledge forced into my head this week makes me want to dumb myself down with Dr. Phil this afternoon. Maybe then I'll understand how the federal government can lay claim to nearly 50% of an estate.