Saturday, July 16, 2005

Gone campin'... sort of

I get distracted when I study. At home, at school, in my bedroom, at the library, even in the quiet room when I'm alone. Perhaps it is an excuse, as I'm known to think of the best excuses to get out of unpleasantries. But I find myself looking out the windows at the grass, staring across the room at the old people reading newspapers, watching the frazzled mothers dragging their noisy children through the stacks of books, wondering exactly how many more hours I will force myself to study, which eventually leads me to questioning my odds of passing this exam and going over the options should I not pass, including whether its feasible to open a daycare for dogs and whether I can get my sister to come work for me. And then I snap back to reality and realize I've been staring at the same old man for 10 minutes and I've marked on my face with a highlighter.

It's pathetic, really. I would be unemployed if my study habits mirrored my work habits, but I just hate to study. I can work for hours uninterrupted on a brief or a pleading or research. But studying just seems inherently unproductive to me, although I am sure in a few short years when I have been working my ass off billing hours and hours of productive work for clients, I will yearn for the days of unproductive studying.

Well, at any rate, today I found a new place to study that might just make these final 10 days as productive as they need to be. My parents set up their camper/RV out back with the intentions of getting it ready for some weekend travel, but I've taken it over as my own personal war room. I hauled all my bar crap out there, pumped up the air conditioner, and went to work. No computer access, nothing to stare at, no loud kids, I can wear my Curious George pajama pants all day if I want.... I got much more done today than I anticipated. And thank GOD for that because time is running out.

Of course, I'd rather be camping...