Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Itchy & Scratchy Show

I've got to take Milo to the vet this morning. He's got something going on with his skin. He doesn't have fleas - I treat him religiously for the parasitic pests since there are all kinds of crazy things to get into out here. He has a bunch of little bumps around his neck, though - just like some kind of nasty bug bites. Anyhow, he's itching and scratching and seems pretty miserable. I gave him some children's Benadryl last night, but that doesn't seem to be helping, so we're off to the vet.

I don't mind taking him to the vet, although Milo isn't too fond of the experience. If I'm lucky, I'll fall into the rotation with the handsome young male vet who makes jokes about other clients and tells me what a great dog I have. Of course, Milo is generally well-behaved while we're there, so the vet has no clue what a little moster I really am raising here, but I love the validation nonetheless.

I started to worry about taking the time out of studying and thought about asking my dad to take Milo for me, but then I got a grip. A trip to the vet is a good excuse to put down the Negotiable Instruments and flirt with a cute man who likes my dog. Negotiable Instruments kind of pales in comparison, really.

Update: We've returned from the vet. Milo has a skin infection related to an allergy of some sort. He got a shot and some antibiotics, and he seems much better already. Unfortunately, we didn't get the cute doc, but Milo did try to go after an ugly little rat terrier in the waiting room. The dog belonged to a pinched older woman with coiffed hair, and the dog and owner shared a strong resemblance, both in appearance and uppity, snotty attitude. I tried not to laugh inappropriately when Milo started growling, but it was pretty funny.