Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A little ironic...

Several people have suggested ear plugs for people like me. I never used them during law school exams because I knew I would like having something stuffed in the ear canal even less than the distractions around me, but I decided to give them a try during both of this week's practice exams.

But I can't breathe very well when I use them. Sometimes I have to take the left one out, and then I can breathe better. What the hell is that all about? Anyway, I'm going to take two into the exam, but I'll probably only use one. One green plug, sticking out of my right ear. Nice.

I'm so tired of this bar exam study. I know that those of you who have been through this before know what we're going through, and those of you who haven't been through it have been wonderful to commiserate with. I appreciate it all - really, I do. It's tedious, and I think the hardest thing is simply going through it, not necessarily what you have to learn along the way. Handling the stress and pressure is more exhausting than working through the outlines and problems. So much rides on this one exam, and that thought alone can really psyche you out if you let it.

I've tried not to obsess too much, although my parents would likely disagree with that since they've had a front row seat to my insanity for the past six weeks. The exam is supposed to test for "minimal competence." Minimal competence, my ass! I think those who pass this wretched exam are certainly above minimal competence in black letter law, yet still dangerous on the streets as new attorneys. Isn't it ironic?