Friday, August 26, 2005

Home sweet home

After much inner turmoil and indecisiveness, I've finally made a housing decision. I will put off buying for at least a year, and I've put down a deposit on an apartment "home" on the north side of Indy. Interestingly enough, after many months of being in housing limbo, everything this past week has fallen neatly into place, as if it were just meant to be.

I knew what area I wanted to live in, and I knew what I was looking for in a home. However, I also knew that I would be stretching my budget in order to be able to afford the kind of home I wanted, not that I am being extravagant or unrealistic. I am simply just too practical to put myself in a perpetually financially stressful situation or to settle for something less than what I want on such an important investment. So I started looking at condos. I found many that I liked but have been hesitant about purchasing a condo. What if I want to sell in in two years and buy a home? What if I can't sell it?

And there were several other considerations floating around in my head, contributing to my indecisiveness - saving for a better down payment, maintenance costs, furnishing a home, and the time it would take to find a home, make an offer, close, etc. As much as I love my parents and appreciate their generosity in letting me stay with them this summer, I am anxious to be back out on my own. The commute alone has become a real pain in the ass, not to mention a huge waste of gas and time.

At any rate, it seems logical for me to put off the buying process. Last week, I found the perfect apartment community right around the area where I was looking to live. The apartments are more like condominiums - large, open rooms, attached garages, fireplaces, and large patios. Plus, I was able to get an end unit with quite a bit of yard around the side for Milo and lots of landscaping and trees. And surprisingly, the rent is not completely outrageous.

It's been a long while since I had my "own" place, and I can't begin to tell you how much I'm looking forward to having that independence back again.