Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Back from extinction

One of my childhood girlfriends met a guy last weekend. He asked her out, and she was thrilled. She's single, he's single. She's an incredibly attractive young woman, he's an unquestionably good-looking young man. She's professional, he's professional. She's a nice girl, he's a nice guy. She's barely 30, he's in his mid-20s. You get the picture. But here's the kicker - she's had sex before. Lots. And he, well... he's still a virgin, apparently due to his strong Catholic values.

When she told me this yesterday morning, I told her, "Girlfriend, finding a good-looking, sweet-hearted, great guy who happens to still be a virgin in his mid-twenties is like finding the elusive South American three-toed sloth in your backyard. I would have sworn that neither one existed in this part of the world."

At this point in my life, I'd know what to do with a three-toed sloth about as much as I'd know what to do with a virgin.