Saturday, November 12, 2005

Charitable endeavors

A partner at my firm has been pressing all the alumni from my alma mater law school to contribute to the law school's annual fundraising campaign. Apparently, the firm gets some recognition if 100% of the alumni working here contribute to the campaign.

Mind you, I just graduated from said law school six months ago. I paid them a great deal of money for my education - money I will be reimbursing to the government for a very long time, thank you very much SallieMae. I asked this partner what the contributions would be used for - he said, "Scholarships and such." I personally was not an Indiana University scholarship recipient - I was not in the top 10% of my undergraduate or law school class, I did not have any judicial connections, and apparently scholarships are not awarded based on stunning personalities.

My point is this: While I am sure that the contributions to the law school will be used for something worthwhile, I can think of many other charities that are in dire need of funding for basic, essential services which do not include law school educations. I prefer to give my money to those organizations, including the Humane Society and ASPCA, the Wheeler Mission across the street from my office, the local Mozel Sanders Thanksgiving dinner, or causes that are personal to my family and friends. And I am certainly supportive of my profession through professional fees for organizations, the occasional raffle or donations for the bar association or other groups, and pro bono work. And I also understand that law school educations often lead, both directly and indirectly, to charitable and public service work for those in need. But that's not my point here.

So the partner just hit me up again for my contribution to the law school. I'll make the donation, albeit a minimal amount, because I've been asked to. Sometimes you have to do things that are asked of you, even if you feel that your money would be better utilized elsewhere.

I am not opposed to contributing to the law school, and if I had more money for charity, I probably would not be fussing about making the donation. I believe strongly in giving what you can to any cause you believe in, whatever that may be. I simply would rather spend my charitable contributions on endeavors that directly assist people and animals in need. And I don't consider a law school education a "need."