Tuesday, November 29, 2005

License to Chill

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels and Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian unveiled the new Colts license plate yesterday. $20 of the $35 cost of the specialty plate will go toward the cost of building the new Indiana Stadium. From the linked article above, construction work on the 63,000 seat retractable roof stadium is already underway with completion scheduled by the start of the 2008 season. The license plate is expected to generate half a million dollars yearly for the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority. The Colts will also hold a live auction for 400 plates of 29 current and former Colts stars, such as Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James. The Colts will also hold a free drawing for ten special numbers, including 18, 32 and 88, on the team's web site.

I have always been supportive of the new stadium and convention center expansion, although it has generated quite a bit of controversy around here. Whether you think the Indianapolis Colts need a new stadium or not, Indianapolis desperately needed an expansion to the convention center, which brings in millions in out-of-town dollars. And I'm all for positive economic development.

I recently renewed my vehicle registration, and I debated on paying extra for a specialty plate that supports a good cause. While I absolutely appreciate the Arts Council and Riley Hospital and IU and Breast Cancer Awareness, I was disappointed that there was no such plate for the Humane Society, so I sent them an e-mail asking how we might go about getting one. In the meantime, I think I'll enter the free drawing for Manning's #18.