Thursday, December 01, 2005

Secret, secret... I got a secret

Not much to say today. This week has been busy with little free time for blogging anyway. So for your Thursday entertainment, I thought I'd divulge a few things about myself that most people don't know:

1. I have synesthesia. I see all words, letters and numbers in color. I also read music in color, and I hear music in color. I associate all names, places, phrases, and mathmatical or scientific calculations in color. My version of the condition is mostly visual and slightly auditory, and always relates to colors. The condition is genetic - my grandmother, mother and aunts have varying degrees of synesthesia, but my sister does not. I thought everyone saw and heard the world the same way I do until I was in high school.

2. I celebrated passing the bar by getting a dainty tattoo. I love it.

3. I used to be a bartender, and I know how to do a few bar tricks. I can tie a maraschino cherry stem in a knot with my tongue, I can draw letters in the head of a Guinness when I'm pulling it off tap, and I can make a multitude of flaming beverages. I used to work at a sports bar with little management supervision. When the Colts scored touchdowns during football season, the bartenders would pour 151 into the well running along the side of the bar and light it on fire. Clearly, we did not understand the concepts of safety or liability.

4. I was not a pretty baby.

5. I failed Calculus.

6. I am afraid of swimming in lakes and ponds, and I won't swim in the ocean over my head unless I have on snorkel gear. I'm terrified of what I can't see, which means I'm still afraid of the dark.

7. I know how to filet a fish and do a perfect shoe shine from sitting across the kitchen table from my father when I was growing up.

8. I've dislocated the same knee twice - once from dancing and once from skiing.

9. I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe that what goes around, comes around.

10. I once let an artist boyfriend do a plaster mold of my bust for a senior art project in college. My friend, his roommate (also an artist) and I went to the art building late at night, and they carefully wrapped my tank-top clad torso in plaster from my neck to my waist, not including my arms. The mold was hot as hell and itched like crazy, and there was some major nudity involved when they cut the mold off. But the bust turned out pretty well and my friend got an A on the art project. And for the rest of the year, the school's art gallery proudly displayed a plaster replica of my breasts.