Wednesday, December 07, 2005

You want to know something funny? You actually made me think about the law. I managed to go through three years of law school without doing that.

Sorry to leave y'all hanging about my deposition drama.

In a nutshell, I spent six hours of my Monday sitting through the most awful depos. Not only was I sick to my stomach (I did not puke anywhere), but I was discouraged by how things were going for our clients (I was defending). By the fifth hour, I was trying to cheer myself up by playing, "How could this depo possibly get any worse?" And yes, puking on the equipment would have been worse. But clients changing their story, stuttering, or going batshit crazy and jumping from the windows probably would not have made these depositions any worse, believe me.

Of course, leave it to me to stick my foot in my mouth. At the holiday party last Friday, I told the managing partner on the case (who whole-heartedly believes in trial by fire) that I thought our clients had a decent case and a sympathetic story, and I would try the case in front of a jury in a heartbeat. There's a question of liability, but I was convinced that we could make our case. This, of course, was before the depositions of our clients. Needless to say, I had to eat that bravado on Monday afternoon. But by today, I've got myself convinced that I can undo the damage of the depositions should I have to try the case, which is now more likely than not thanks to well-prepared defense counsel and my big mouth.

I have so much to learn...

* quote from "The Firm"