Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm too sexy for my job

So what's up with using the term "sexy" as an adjective for things that are clearly not sexy? For example, "We really want to market some of the sexy litigation we're doing."

Sexy litigation? What's sexy about drug litigation? It's not sexy, I can tell you that. But it seems the word has been thrown around a lot lately. Last week, our marketing guy was talking about the sexy litigation. Then this morning, I was told, "You really want to include all the sexy memos in those responses - any of the really sexy items that we might want to touch on in depositions."

Is the use of this word out of context catching on like wildfire around my firm, or is this a more widespread thing? Am I missing something? Is "sexy" the new black for adjectives?

Either way, I don't like it. The black marble tile walls in the elevator are sexy. Memos in response to requests for production are not sexy. Leave it to the powers that be to ruin a perfectly good word.