Monday, January 16, 2006

There ain't no bones about that

Overheard in New York:
Girl: Oh look, this would be cute for the baby.
Guy: What baby?
--Gift shop, Empire State Building


I stopped by Osco Drug on my way home with the intention of picking up a card and some contact solution. As usual, I picked up a few other things I don't necessarily need.

At the checkout, I stood behind a seemingly frazzled middle-aged woman. Her only purchase: an EPT pregnancy test. The female clerk said nothing, the customer said nothing, and I waited patiently with an armful of goods. When it was my turn, I put my items on the counter, including a bottle of Arbor Mist (cheap, yes, but I love the stuff over ice) and one Totino's cheese pizza (even cheaper, but who's complaining?).

Clerk: Quiet night at home?
Me: Something like that.
Clerk: You must be single.
Me: WTF, lady? Hmmm... you're right, single. I guess the cheap wine, frozen pizza and cigs gave it away, huh.
Clerk: Yeah, but at least you don't need what that last woman purchased.

True enough.