Monday, February 27, 2006

Sometimes one smile means more than a dozen roses?

I left the office last Thursday afternoon around 3, and I took Friday off. I did not come into the office at all over the weekend, though I lugged home a bag of documents, half of which are still spread out across the empty side of my bed after having fallen asleep while working last night.

When I got into the office this morning, my desk was covered with items from Thursday afternoon and Friday - letters waiting for signature, pleadings to file, projects to do. I just got to the bottom of the pile, and there at the bottom taped to my desk next to my calendar was a note. The note is from the inside wrapper of a Dove dark chocolate, which I keep in my candy dish. It says "Sometimes one smile means more than a dozen roses."

A few points of interest about the note: First, no one has claimed it, though I've asked the most likely culprits. Second, whoever taped it on my desk did so with a vengeance. They taped it down with three pieces of packing tape, rather than the scotch tape in my desk. And third, is someone trying to tell me to smile at them, or that they smile at me but I don't notice because maybe I prefer flowers, or what exactly is the point of taping it to my desk? What kind of message is this, anyway??

The fact that I'm questioning a perfectly sweet, innocent note is probably why I'm sleeping with documents instead of a man.