Sunday, March 26, 2006

No matter how hard you try, you will never be Target

Wal-Mart is trying to reach a new demographic by opening a store in Texas that offers more up-scale items such as high-end electronics, fine jewelry, $500 bottles of wine, and a sushi bar. Other changes in the new store include new uniforms for employees (khakis and polos instead of the blue smock), hardwood floors and wide aisles, free wireless internet service from the espresso bar instead of the McDonald's, and section devoted to yoga.

My thoughts: There are some good things about Wal-Mart, and I shop there for the low prices on groceries and other products. They could improve their stores nation-wide by simply keeping them more neat and clean and not cramming so much crappy merchandise into one tiny aisle. But adding these uppity items doesn't make sense to me. The Wal-Mart business plan seems to have worked just fine so far, so why Wal-Mart is trying to get all snooty is beyond me. I would rather they simply improve on what they are already good at - low prices on everyday products.

I can assure you that if I was going to buy a $500 bottle of wine, take a yoga class or go for sushi, I wouldn't be doing it at Wal-Mart.