Thursday, March 09, 2006

Scratch my back with a lightning bolt
Thunder rolls like a bass drum note
The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band...

The rain is pouring down outside, pelting sideways against my windows with the howling wind. There is a spring thunderstorm blowing with verocity outside. I am sitting here at the computer, taking in the smell of raindrops mixed with asphalt and new dirt from recent landscaping. My patio door is open slightly, and I just got Milo settled down for the night after his customary evening game of pulling socks from my feet like a child with a new toy. So much for talking on the phone or returning e-mails...

I attended an all-day CLE (continuing legal education) course on "Applied Professionalism" today. The speakers were good, and their materials excellent. These required courses are exhausting (boring?) to sit through, but the words of wisdom imparted from seasoned attorneys are usually invaluable lessons. I have a thing about "being in the presence of greatness." And the 'greatness' need only encompass those who have practiced law for so many years beyond me. At this point in my career, I cannot help but be in awe of the experienced lawyers who have mastered any small part of this profession. Yet, this afternoon I found myself losing focus after five hours of lecture. You'll have that.

What I learned today seems to be, on its face, basic, but yet apparently still needs to be taught to new attorneys. It is "What I learned in kindergarten..." at its finest as it relates to the practice of law.

* Play well with others
* Be on time
* Don't cheat, lie or steal
* Don't sleep with your clients
* Meet your deadlines
* Respect the Court (and their staff)
* Ask for advice and assistance from those in-the-know
* If you screw up, admit it and deal appropriately with the ramifications
* Be nice
* Keep your things neat and organized

These well-taken points go along with and mirror my some of my own words of wisdom, which include:

* Know and love the office staff, paralegals, and assistants. They are invaluable. They can save your ass if they like you or sink you if you suck, and they will do both. The staff are the eyes and ears of any firm. If you treat them like crap, you deserve every bit of the wrath that they can and will bring upon you.
* Don't get drunk at firm social gatherings, even if Mimosas are being served in the breakroom at 10:00am prior to the holiday party.
* Know who you're talking to. Don't get too "personal" with other attorneys, be it associate or partner. Telling a partner that you smoked the bong at Lollapalooza in college may seem like a good story over a Crown-and-diet at the office party, but the historical perspective is probably not going to score you points on your associate review.
* Be on time - getting into the office later than usual is our occassional luxury. But damn - if you are late to a pre-scheduled meeting or hearing, you suck. This drives me batty. Don't do it.
* Don't brag about how many hours you billed last month, how much your bonus is going to be, or how much face-time you have at the office. No one cares, and they probably don't believe you, either.
* Own up to your own mistakes as soon as you realize that you've screwed something up.
* Never throw anyone else under the bus for your responsibilities. If you screw up a project, own it. If you delegated part of the project to someone else, don't pass the buck. It was your responsibility. Suck it up, admit it, and deal with it. Never make excuses or blame someone else for what you are ultimately responsible for.

My two cents, from the mouth of a new associate with a dog who wants to pull my socks off.