Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bird's eye view



So, we are still out of our offices, and it appears that will be the case for quite some time (anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months). Yesterday morning, building management/police allowed twelve people from our firm to access our office for 30 minutes only. Each of us reported to the department chair our essential files and whatever else we absolutely needed from our office. I was allowed to request whatever could fit in one box, so I asked that my managing partner clean off the entire top of my desk and grab a couple of files from my bookshelf. I've been unpacking and setting up to work from home this morning on the essential projects. Unfortunately, his sweep of my desk did not include my favorite pink pen, my lucky bamboo, or my desk calendar, but I think I can survive.

Fortunately, our floor did not sustain massive amounts of damage. We had a few windows broken out and some water damage in those offices, but nothing like we thought earlier in the week. Now it's just a matter of waiting until we are cleared to go back in and get the firm up and running again. For now, the partners are looking for temporary office space, and they have set up a location for us to gain access to supplies, fax, printers, and the server in the meantime. It really is a logistical nightmare, but everyone has done an amazing job of pulling together and making sure we are still in business.

Thanks to Kelly for sending the inside view picture posted here.