Monday, April 03, 2006

Storm briefs

Having grown up in central Indiana surrounded by corn fields, I'm used to spring thunderstorms, including those that bring about hail and tornados. I have never been afraid of the weather. In fact, as a child, I would rather risk the tornado than brave the alien crickets in my parents' cellar. In the 15 years I lived on that farm, I never did seek shelter in the cellar.

So I find unsettling that I was absolutely terrified last night when the storms ripped across Indianapolis. I ended up in the bathroom with Milo, pretty certain that we were going to be hit by a tornado. Fortunately, we were fine. Unfortunately, Milo was about as scared as I was, and he's still hiding under the bed this morning.

So, no damage here. I can't say the same for my office. I got a call from the office administrator around 1am telling me that our office building had been damaged - windows blown out on the floors above ours and structural damage. And the sprinkler system was activated, so I have no clue if my office (which is just below the damaged corner) is a soggy mess this morning. The building has been completely closed down - no access allowed.

This is not good for me. I spent the majority of last week working on a case, writing 2 briefs. One brief was filed on Friday; the other brief must be filed today in anticipation of an oral argument hearing tomorrow. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday working on this case. When I left the office last night, I placed my cases and research and all other briefs in a neat pile on my desk and saved my brief to the server, with every intention of returning to the office by 7am this morning to continue the work. I should also point out that being under the gun on time was not a result of our procrastination; opposing counsel filed 3 briefs on this case this past Monday. The managing partner on the case was out of town on Spring Break. Another associate and I have had an insane week of trying to pick up the ball and run with it.

And now this intervening act of God has thrown quite the wrench in my Monday plan. I cannot access the server from home, and I don't have copies of the prior briefs and research from opposing counsel, nor do I have any of my own notes. Just finding a way to gather all the material I need (not to mention I have no printer here, either) could take the better part of the day, and the brief still needs a lot of work. Ironically, I hauled this case back and forth with me every day last week. Sunday night was the only night I didn't pack it all up and bring it home with me. So frustrating.

I spoke with my partner on the case a little while ago. We're going to try to use someone else's office and resources today to get things ready for tomorrow's hearing, including getting the brief finished and filed today. There's a ton of work to do, but this case means a great deal to both of us. I'm sure we'll pull it off, but certainly not under the best of circumstances.

Ironically enough, our co-counsel on this case is from New Orleans. He's flying in this morning. Compared to what he's been through since Katrina, getting through today should be a piece of cake.

Wish us luck!