Sunday, May 07, 2006

Push it real good

I've spent the majority of my day lounging around, reading on the patio, watching E! and basically doing very little. But I've earned a day off. TR and I finished the Mini Marathon yesterday - all 13.1 miles of it - in under 4 hours. Keep in mind that I went into it with zero prep, having decided to take Kelly's spot on Thursday. Had TR and I trained (okay, had I been able to keep up with her), I think we could've walked it in under 3.5 hours, and that's my goal for next year.

It was hard. The first 6 miles really were no problem - TR and I had a so much fun chatting (being snarky), enjoying the weather (getting some sun), and listening to the sideline entertainment (preachers, rockers, cheerleaders, beer-drinkers, carribean drummers, cloggers). We hit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway just before mile 7, and walking the famed 2.5 mile oval was incredibly cool. But once we got off the track, we both started feeling the pain. By mile 10, Bitchfest 2006 Amanda Style had set in, and my feet were killing me. The next three miles were absolute hell, but I was not about to get on the short bus back to the rest and recovery area. Besides, I would have missed out on some of TR's most hilarious end-of-race commentary.

So we crossed the finish line waving to the cameras, collected our medals, grabbed free bananas, and headed for the beer garden, where we shed our socks and shoes, sat in the grass and drank free beer with our free bananas. It was an excellent day, and an inspiring event for me. I am so glad that I had the opportunity (thanks, Kel) and that I finished (thanks, TR), and Idefinitely plan to do it again next year.

Of course, I can barely move today and my right big toe looks like it might fall off, but that's all relative.