Saturday, June 10, 2006

Bring it on

TAMPA, Fla. - A federal judge, miffed at the inability of opposing attorneys to agree on even the slightest details of a lawsuit, ordered them to settle their latest dispute with a game of “rock, paper, scissors.”

The argument was over a location to take the sworn statement of a witness in an insurance lawsuit.

In an order signed Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Gregory Presnell scolded both sides and ordered them to meet at a neutral location at 4 p.m. June 30 to play a round of the hand-gesture game often used to settle childhood disputes. If they can’t agree on the neutral location, he said, they’ll play on the steps of the federal courthouse.

The winner gets to choose the location for the witness statement.
____________________

I'm all for creative solutions to settle disputes, especially when the disputes between attorneys becomes a petty squabble (although I have to admit that I'm partial to picking locations for depositions and the like, and I usually try to get my way in that regard). Rock, paper, scissors has always been one of my favorite "fair-and-square" methods. Brilliant order by the judge, in my opinion.

Of course, I would still be pissed if I lost the match. I would demand a re-match. Best three of five is the way to go.