Thursday, January 18, 2007

I'm bringin' schlepping back

Contrary to popular belief (held, perhaps, by only me), I cannot have one iTunes library that plays my music and playlists from both home and work. Rather, I can download music from both computers but to separate libraries, and you cannot synch those two libraries. Even more frustrating - I cannot dowload two libraries to one iPod. WTF?

So here I am, with some music downloaded from iTunes at work and most of my cd's uploaded at home. Everything from home is downloaded on my new iPod, but I can't add in the music downloaded at work. And I don't think I can play my iPod through my computer at work, though I'm not completely sure about that. And as if this little tech experiment wasn't bad enough, I bought some little thing that supposedly would allow me to tune my car radio to an unused station and play my iPod through my car stereo, but after several attempts I have been unable to get anything but loud static overriding my music.

So much for technology. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm just not into listening to my music through ear buds. First of all, ear buds are creepy little things, and second, I don't like music going directly into my brain. It makes me feel clausterphobic. I thought this would be good for organizing my music, but if I can't even listen to my stuff in the car or at work, what's the point? I'm sure there are some iPod accessories that would be useful (i.e., a docking station), and maybe I'll consider that once I get over the initial disappointment. For now, I may have to go back to schlepping my cd's around again.

UPDATE: After further investigation online this afternoon (for some of us, billing what pretty much shot in the ass today), it appears that you can somehow synch to more than one computer. But I cannot figure out how to do it, and I haven't got the patience. Maybe tomorrow, I'll ask our resident IT guy. He's one of those people that always runs around with earbuds in and his iPod strapped to his arm with one of those weird arm things, like a banker used to have. Or like he's going jogging, but he wears a suit. Very strange, but hopefully he'll be of some help.