Monday, April 16, 2007

The Dove Birds

This past weekend, a couple of doves busily built a nest on my patio. They made a huge mess with mulch, twigs and pine needles, but I let them be. I'm not a huge fan of birds, but I am not going to interrupt nature.

By yesterday evening, the doves had settled into nesting on top of one of the pillars just under the roof's awning. I saw them trade off sitting in the nest, and I assumed the female had laid her eggs already. I checked on them this morning before I left. All seemed well with my new houseguests. Despite my slight fear-factor for birds, I got a little excited about keeping watch (from afar, of course) on the couple and having baby dove chicks cooing on my patio this spring.

As soon as I got home tonight, I went to check on the doves. No nest, and even a bigger mess on my patio floor, including one small broken, splattered dove egg. I have no idea what happened.

So sad. I really wish they would come back and stay, but I suppose what happened is probably for the best. I guess that's life (nature, whatever), but I don't like it. :(

UPDATE: Shortly after I posted, I noticed one of the doves sitting in the yard, then on my patio railing. The dove is now perched back up on her post. I can't see a nest, though it's possible that the nest is sparse and beyond my line of vision. But the dove is back, hopefully sitting on a second egg.

Tuesday UPDATE: The doves are gone again, I think for good this time.