Sunday, April 08, 2007

A dog's life... and food...

I've been worrying about my dog food for Milo due to the ongoing recalls (check bottom of article for links to Menu Foods, etc. sites and new info). I'm not freaking out too much - Milo has been fine. But I feed him Eukanuba and some of their brands have been on the recall list, albeit none of their daily dry dog foods like the one I feed my dog.

Then, yesterday, Milo's favorite dog biscuits - Old Roy - were recalled as well. I talked to my sister, resident vet (tech) and clinic manager, and she suggested I find a holistic food with no wheat gluten, at least until the recall scare passes. I did some online research, particularly with regard to feeding a "natural" diet as opposed to commercial dog food, and I decided due to vitamin and supplement issues to go with holistic food.

Once again, Trader Joe's comes to the rescue. That store absolutely rocks. I found Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine Formula, and I switched Milo over today. He seems to love the stuff, and I'm no longer worrying about further recalls. Eukanuba has been great for 5 years, but now it's just not good (safe) enough. I'm not sure I ever will feel comfortable feeding him over-processed, commercialized food.

I've never been one to worry too much about organic/holistic vs. non-organic/non-holistic, for either myself or Milo. But this pet food recall has me really thinking about what goes into our food products. Milo is my family, and this has touched me personally. So what goes into the products we buy for ourselves, for our families? Something to think about...